A Giclée (zhee-CLAY) is an individually produced, high-resolution, high-fidelity art reproduction printed on a special large-format printer. Giclées are produced from digital scans of existing artwork, or from original digital art where there is no "original" that can be hung on a wall. Giclées creates an entirely new vibrant medium for art and can be printed on any number of media, including fine art canvas—in many weights and textures— and water color paper of all kinds.
Giclées are superior to traditional lithography in several ways:
1) Giclées can be printed on a vast choice of media.
2) The colors are brighter, last longer, and are printed at such high-resolution that they are virtually continuous tone, rather than the tiny dots used on screens for traditional lithography.
3) The range or "gamut" of color for Giclées far exceeds the range offered by lithography.
4) Giclées are priced midway between original art and regular limited-edition lithographs.
5) Limited-edition lithographic prints are usually produced in editions of 500—1000 or more; Giclées can be printed on demand. Giclées don't have to be produced in huge quantities with a large layout of capital and the additional storage requirements of a large print run.
6) Giclées are produced directly from a digital file, saving generations of detail-robbing negatives and printing plates, which have always accompanied traditional printing. Producing a museum quality Giclée print requires not only the artistic color sense of a fine artist, but the complete mastery of state-of-the-art photographic and printing technology.
Welcome to Holmes & Cottrell Graphic Technologies
where the production of a museum quality Giclée print is not only possible,
but where the highest quality Giclée printing is our primary business objective.
4837 NYS RTE 414
Burdett, NY 14818